so happy!

mchad21March 14, 2009

For the first time in years I'm happy about my hydrangeas. The last few years the gardeners have been cutting all the wood off...I'm talking down to the ground. And every year I get big beautiful foliage...and no blooms. Well, after I learned that they bloom on old wood, I fired the gardener and started taking care of the yard myself. So last fall I cut down to the fattest bud, and they all are coming in great now.

Looking forward to a good year with them, and a lot of blooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

It is always a good thing to discuss plans with the crew chief and then with the gardening crew directly. That way, people who did not understand within the crew will hopefully get a second chance to ask. But, alas, that is not a guarantee of success. Many times there will be problems cutting the wrong type of plant to the ground or there will be cases of adding lawn fertilizer into areas where there are flowering shrubs growing. To get it right, one sometimes has to do it himself or herself, mchad21. Wishing you lots of blooms.

Luis

PS - No, I do not use a lawn service either. I could have used a lawn service last year as I was way too busy. And this year, I am even busier but now the two lawn mowers have conked out too so I purchase a manual until the units are fixed. But, I have too many places where the plants might suffer so, no, I do not use them. Right now, I am waiting for my niece and nephew to get a little older so they can learn and help under my constant supervision.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 3:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycynthias(Z6 NY)

YAY, mystery solved! I know exactly what you went through mchad21. I have had nothing but drama with "gardeners" (some involving hydrangeas also) so I finally fired mine last year too and got a lawn-mowing-only service. My husband doesn't seem to understand why in the world I want to be out there doing it myself, since he's of the mindset that you pay people to do manual labor, LOL, but I love love love digging in the dirt and it's so rewarding when you see those blooms that *you* are responsible for! Can't wait for spring to really spring!

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™