Help on When To Plant Hydrangea Incrediball

budderpopcorn(7)March 26, 2010

Hello,

I just received hydrangea incrediball via mail-order, but I am not sure if I should plant them now, or find a way to hold off until later. I'm in zone 7 (Northern Virginia right outside Washington DC), and the last frost tends to be late April or early May.

The hydrangeas have a fair amount of new growth on them already -- 2 to 3 new green shoots, each about 2 inch long, with a few leaves, and I wonder if I'm going to kill the plants by planting them outdoors now. But the instruction says it is best for any delivered plants to be planted outside immediately.

What to do? And if the right thing is to hold off until much later when the danger of last frost is gone, then what do I do to keep these healthy for almost a month?

As a newbie on gardening, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

If it was me I would plant it right away. If there is a chance of frost just cover it up for the night with a sheet or burlap. When they are that small make sure you give it plenty of water. Good Luck!

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 11:48AM
budderpopcorn(7)

Thanks, hydrangeasnohio. I called a local nursery, and their suggestion was the same: plant now, and if frost is anticipated, cover the plants up to protect the new leaves.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 9:24PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

If you ordered from a nursery like wayside they won't ship until it's your time to plant and if I does die you can get a free replacement, so I would go for it.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 7:06PM
sue36(Z5 Maine)

If it is only one plant I would pot it up and let it grow in the pot until it is warmer. It will grow faster in the pot than in the ground right now.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™