Big Trouble on my First Try - Droopy Leaves

akjim907January 29, 2009

Ok I'll try and be brief; My very first attempt at hydroponics. I jumped in the deep end but that's what I do... I have a Aero2-36 NFT system, planted lettuce (trying to make it easy) Everything went very well through day 40 or so... I have a PH/PPM meter and was testing everyday... I discovered a reduction in PH and I just kept adding PH up and didn't think much about it.. well it turns out it was indicator... I have since discovered I had an anaerobic bacteria, my roots were brown and the leaves were drooping. After lots of research I've concluded; I didn't change my nutes, may have not had my drain tubes pushed down far enough (allowing standing water without oxygen), may have gotten too warm (72 degrees). I have since flushed the system, replaced the water (added Hydrogen Peroxide) which adds a extra oxygen molecule thus killing the bateria with oxygen. Within 4 hours I had 1" sections of new WHITE roots appearing, all the plants were perking up and within 24 hours had growth. I was lucky didn't lose a plant and my system (although I lost 3-5 days growth) has returned to a success story.

I hope this might help the next guy/gal... I did lots of google searches to figure out my problems. I got lucky in finding an answer quickly.

This hasn't diminished my love for hydroponics just another challenge to overcome.

I'll add more pics as they become available.

http://www.pbase.com/jjensenalaska/hydroponics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freemangreens(Zone 10 CA)

Nice pictures. Looks like "Little Gem" butter crunch. A simple "fix" to your anaerobic problem would be to toss an air stone into your nutrient reservoir and bubble air through it 24/7 using a small fish-tank air pump.

A word to the wise: watch for ants in your growing area. They can bring in aphids and once aphids find the lettuce, it's either poison or the crop is history. I found out the hard way that aphids multiply faster than bunnies!

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
Floating Raft system
i am interesting to build a green house with Floating...
nikolascyprus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™