xeriscape yard

janicez5(z5)April 3, 2010

I am in central Idaho, south of the Snake River. About 8 inches ppt per year. Soil tending to alkaline, with hardpan layer down about a foot. Some salinity.

Have been contemplating yard area.

I am wondering about Sandberg bluegrass for yard area ( a few clumps of it doing well in my outback). Height obviously would not be a problem (I would be surprised to learn that there is a shorter western native grass) Sure, it looks like it wouldn't survive much traffic, but there won't be much traffic. I visualize it mixed with some other grass-- would it hold its own against sheep fescue under minimal irrigation ??

Q.: Is anyone growing Sandberg bluegrass (Poa secunda/ Poa sandbergii) as a lawn/yard grass ??...... Your thoughts/experience with xeriscape yard in similar conditions are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lantanascape(z6 Idaho)

Hi Janice - Sandberg bluegrass does just fine with just about any seeded species around here. Your only problem might be cheatgrass, so if you have that under control, you should be good. If you haven't already, you might take a look at the native garden at the Boise BLM office on Development Ave (it's on the east side of the parking lot). The Idaho Botanical Garden also has some demo-plots for water-wise grasses. Not sure if they have Sandberg's, but I do know that they have things like Buffalo grass growing there, as well as the fire wise garden.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Man.....
I started this forum like six years ago, and I gotta...
moulman
I can't be the only one!!!
Where are all the idaho gardeners??
jennwaskow
hows the veggie gardening in ID?
Hows the veggie gardening in the Boise area? I lived...
petebert
Harvesting Potatoes
Is it bad to harvest potatoes when the ground is wet?...
pk333111
Volunteer FAQ Editor Needed
We are looking for someone to help create an FAQ for...
gwannouncements
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™