Help with a Climbing Hydrangea

wateringcanvanApril 27, 2010

Hi,

I have recently purchased a climbing Hydrangea to climb up a dull north facing wall.

I have fed and watered it but the tips of the leaves have gone black and look crinkley.. Can you help me with a diagnosis and a remedy?

Thanks Van..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

More than likely just some transplant shock and possibly fertilizer burn -- these vines are not really prone to any significant disease or insect problems.

FWIW, it's not a good idea to fertilize brand new plantings. They seldom need it and it often creates unnecessary stress in what is already a stressful event (planting/transplanting). If you have semi-decent soil, there is very little need to supply additional fertilizers to any permanent plantings. In fact, I doubt I have ever fertilized my climbing hydrangea, other than what mulch may get applied at the root zone.

Just keep the plant sufficiently watered (but not over-watered) and leave it be (no more fertilizer!!). It'll recover just fine.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

gg, plse write me. i'd like to ask you to contribute something to the new website
mindy
cottonarboretum@comcast.net

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™