Should I Feed my Endless Summer?

figtreeundrgrnd(6ANJ)April 28, 2006

I don't know why, but I didn't winter-cover my ES and thought, surely I killed it. But now new growth is coming up from the base and last years stems are looking dead.

I know ES blooms on both old and new growth...should I wait before trimming the "dead" stems?

What, and when should I feed it? Can I use 'Hollytone'?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

I would wait until it's almost ready to bloom before removing any canes that look "dead". You may get some sprouts on a couple lower sets of nodes on those older canes and retaining at least those can help to build up a taller shrub.

You may not really need to overtly fertilize your hydrangea outside of putting some compost around it and mulch to help retain moisture. Hollytone is a good "natural" fertilizer, but note that it has an acidifer in it, which would make ES more blue (assuming there's some natural aluminum in the soil) if that is what you want.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 11:06AM
figtreeundrgrnd(6ANJ)

Thanks jenny. I already killed one ES trying to get it to turn blue...it turned black:>(
This gardening 'hobby' is getting very expensive!

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 7:38AM
lovemyflower_garden

How did you kill it trying to turn it blue? I ask because I just purchased some and would like for them to be blue, but the amount of acidic fertilizer that the lady at Lowe's recommended seemed like way too much.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 7:42PM
yellowgirl(z9aOrlandoFL)

While some people choose not to fertilize at all, most nurseries that I have purchased from, describe them as hungry feeders that do best with frequent fertilizing. A lot depends on the quality of your soil I'm sure, but I couldn't live without it down here in my sandbox of a garden.

Aluminum sulfate is often used to color hydrangeas blue. It is NOT a fertilizer and if applied too heavily, it can damage or kill a hydrangea...yg

Bookmark   April 30, 2006 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™