Hummingbird still in St. Louis

Linda5520October 24, 2012

I still have a female ruby throated hummingbird in my yard drinking from my feeder as of today, Oct. 24, 2012. There were two last Saturday but now she is the only one. I'm afraid she might be young and may have missed her opportunity to start migrating South. I live in St. Louis, MO and we are having a cold front move in on Thursday night. Do you think she will leave? What can I do to help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Linda

It is good to hear a few people have late hummers this season but dont worry they will move on when they need to. Cold front coming thru here I think friday . Hummers have a way of handling cold and it will have to get pretty cold for the feeder mix to freeze or you can take it in at night and put it back out at dawn if needed.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 5:22PM
Linda5520

Thanks for the info. I have never seen one here this late at my house in October (although today is a very warm day here) so maybe this is a normal occurrence. The weather people say maybe 38 or 40 degrees on Friday evening. I don't think the feeder mix will freeze.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 5:42PM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

Linda, another hummer showed up in my yard(eastern Iowa) a couple days ago. He made it through several below to well below freezing nights somewhere north of here earlier in October, so a bit of cold down in St Louis or farther south shouldn't be a problem. I imagine the big challenge for these very late migrants is finding enough food to keep them going. A lot of people have probably taken their feeders down by now. I keep mine up just in case. This hummer got lucky when he found my yard. He certainly need to get moving farther south, but he obviously left somewhere up north to come to my yard so at some point he'll leave my yard as well to continue the journey.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 9:20PM
Linda5520

Thanks for letting me know this. I guess there are still stragglers heading south but at a slower pace. Thank goodness there are people like me who love these darlings and still keep their feeders up. My two feeders were full of bees this morning but I am determined to keep them up until November. Thanks for the response!

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™