where to place variegated leaf hydrangea

raee_gwApril 24, 2007

Hi, I have two variegated leaf hydrangeas (macrophylla 'Mariesii') that die back to the ground each year, and tho they recover & grow lovely foliage, no blooms. I'm guessing they must bloom on old wood & obviously are not cold tolerant enough for my garden. Being a fairly new gardener, I didn't know that "perennial" on the label might mean "but not here". I am thinking of moving them next to the house & am wondering which exposure would be best--I have a spot on the east, or a spot on the south which is actually in shade except in mid-morning. I will be keeping them just for the foliage, no expectations of bloom. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yellowgirl(z9aOrlandoFL)

You are absolutely right in your assumptions and expectations. It is highly unlikely that you will ever see a bloom on Variegata in zone 5/6 without elaborate winter protection measures. Even further south, getting these to bloom well can be a bit iffy. Luckily, this plant is more about the foliage anyway. They make a nice contrast plant in the shade. Sounds like either spot would be fine, so put it where it suits you best. Sorry you had to find out the hard way....yg

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Yellow girl is quite right. I would add that I brought my Mariesii with me from New Orleans to east Central MS and have found it to be extremely sun tolerant in both places. (Could be that it was just adapted to New Orleans, but maybe not.) So...I would try that southern exposure on the assumption that the south facing wall might give it an extra measure of protection in the winter. I love it so much I have created an entire white border around it, and it's my favorite garden. Mine will bloom, but I prune it to keep it at a smaller size. (The blooms are lace caps.)

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Should I prune this hydrangea?
It came in a small 4" pot. I have transplanted...
cakbu z9 CA
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
sally6340
Sponsored Products
Whitmore Mirror by Uttermost
$195.80 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Faux
$69.00 | Home Depot
Surround Lighted Chrome Plug-In 7X Magnifying Mirror
Lamps Plus
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork VI
Grandin Road
AICO Furniture - Victoria Palace Fireplace w/Curio Top (3 pc) -...
Great Furniture Deal
Aspen Pedestal Sink with Granite Basin
Signature Hardware
Egyptian Cotton Sateen 600 Thread Count Greek Border Sheet Set (Pillowcase Set O
Overstock.com
Page Bench - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™