Common Evening Primrose

dave_k_gwOctober 16, 2011

Last fall I planted Common Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) by seeding directly in the garden. The seed was collected along a railroad track locally. Those plants grew well in the worst kind of subsoil. This Primrose is supposed to be a biennial, but mine bloomed the first year. Others seeds started in a small pot grew well but did not bloom. Those have been transplanted into the garden lately.

I've seen Rubythroats nectar from this species in northern Wisconsin. I didn't notice any hummers at my Primrose, but I like this tough plant. The flowers are bright clear yellow with a nectar spur. It requires only part to full sun to bloom well over a long period. It seems the plant is larger in sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

It's moderatly invasive/rampant here and I pull dozens every year when doing spring clean-up in my flowerbeds. I always leave the main clump for the bright, cheerful flowers but I yank any that stray far from it. It was here when I moved to this house; I didn't plant it and, based on what I've seen it do, I likely wouldn't. There are lots of others that are much better behaved. I've never seen hummers on or near them but I've only just started planting things that attract them the past 2-3 years.

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 5:38PM
dave_k_gw

The Evening Primrose is laughing at our heat and drought.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 4:41PM
eric580

My evening primroses just sprouted. I hope they do well.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 8:45PM
eric580

They feed from evening primroses early in the morning so watch for them.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 10:35PM
dave_k_gw

My Primrose (Oenothera biennis) are now taller than me, and starting to bloom. They're in very poor, dry soil. I have some winter sown Silene regia right next to them which are struggling to stay alive. Those are only about the size of a quarter! The Japanese Beetles love the Primrose, unfortunately. I've been spraying.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 10:02PM
dave_k_gw

The tall plant in the back is the Primrose. It flowered well for several weeks. It's still going but I've cut it back quite a bit. I saw one visit from a Rubythroat.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™