Where to buy Grape Vines in Idaho

backyardener(z6 Idaho)September 26, 2008

I live in Boise and I am looking to plant 3 more grape vines in my back yard next spring. I would really like to try out some of the California (European) varieties like Flame, Summer/Autumn Royal and Crimson Seedless, but I don't know where to get them. I realize that it is possible that a cold winter might kill them, but I want to try - global warming is on my side! I have found only a couple places on the internet that have them, but they won't ship to Idaho. Does anybody know a good nursery that might have these? Anybody have cuttings?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

I'm not sure I can help you find a place to buy grapes. The state of Idaho places limits on where grapes can be brought in from. Due to certain pests like the grape phylloxera, these limits are very strict. You can contact the Idaho State Dept. of Agriculture for more information on getting grapes vines. You might also contact your Ada County Extension Office for help.

There are many grapes which are hardy enough to survive Boise winters. The greater limitation is whether there is sufficient heat in the summer to ripen the fruit. This publication can help with that information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing grapes in Idaho

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify this mystery plant in my garden?
It's been a strange year for my medicine garden attempts....
Mama_Otter
boise
Anyone here gardening in the Boise area?
connieatchley
green shade trees
We are planning to plant a shade tree, but I don't...
Nelda88
Anyone here?
I gearing up to plant a big garden this year! I grow...
happyskunk
Identify purple flowering perennial shrub
I have a bush I am trying to identify. I have photos...
angiekat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™