Wedding Gown Hyfrangea pruning?

kfargy(5b)April 22, 2012

Does anyone know the proper pruning for this Hydrangea in zone 5b??

I have read conflicting articles and even some that say it will die down to the ground in zone 5.. Anyone in zone 5b grow this H??

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

These are fairly new on the market, I doubt you are going to find much hands on consumer experience with them. The marketing reads - " dwarf flowering shrub blooms on new wood, so you can do pruning in early spring, before growth begins. Flowering begins earlier than that of most varieties of Hydrangea macrophylla and continues on new growth into fall if spent blooms are removed regularly. " But, to take advantage of earliest blooms, in a Z5b you may need to offer winter protection for them so they are not dying back so severely every year.

Try waiting til Spring to prune back any winter damage or to shape if needed - don't prune in the fall in your colder zone.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joannemb

I have this one too, and it is shaped so poorly. I'm tempted to prune it now, but there are buds on it and I'd lose the flowers if I shaped it now. Mine is tall and gangly, lacking leaves in the center. Based on the advice of others I'm going to leave it be and patiently see if it does indeed fill in this season. Then prune at the end of Summer.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™