brrrr

backyardener(z6 Idaho)December 10, 2009

Wow, it is cold. We are seeing below zero temps in Boise for the first time in more than 10 years. I remember as a kid hitting -25, hopefully the -6 is as low as it is going to go. Do any of you have plants that are marginal that may have been damaged by this cold weather? I am wondering about the local vineyards... I am planning to plant some wine grapes this spring and I know that they can't take much below zero. Kind of glad I waited until next year to plant them...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aunt_ida

I planted a desert willow last spring. Two blueberries in large pots. An apple tree I started from seed last spring that's in a pot. Two shrubs I transplanted this fall. I'll have my eye on plant sales this spring to replace whatever doesn't make it.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 3:53PM
idaho_gardener

I think the cold helps the snowpack. As I get older, I feel the cold more and more, but I still prefer cool weather to the blistering heat we usually get in the summertime.

I haven't planted anything that's going to be effected by the cold.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 7:12PM
backyardener(z6 Idaho)

I'm all for the snowpack and "Cool" yes, but "COLD" no, I'll take 100 over 0. The 100 degree heat does not really bother me that much. At least we don't have the humidity to go with it. I'll take 100 degrees with 10% humidity over 85 degrees with 90% humidity.

It seems like the past few years have not given us much "cool" weather, it has jumped from cold to hot and back to cold without much in between.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
New gardener!
Hi everyone. Newbie gardener here. I recently moved...
spiritfruit
red worms in garden before planting
Hi all, We rototilled our garden spot today and wondered...
suziqm
photinia
Hi, Wanting to grow a 12-month privacy screen on the...
restoringahomestead
Anyone here?
I gearing up to plant a big garden this year! I grow...
happyskunk
Man.....
I started this forum like six years ago, and I gotta...
moulman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™