Which Zone am I... really?

debbieg(6)December 6, 2008

I'm getting conflicting information about which zone I'm in. I think it's zone 6, however I spoke with someone at one garden center and he said this area is 4/5. How do I find out? I'm in Eagle Idaho right next to Meridian and Boise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gail-grandma

I am in Buhl, Idaho and am in zone 5, I know that Boise and closer to the river up there it is 6 at least. Everything comes on at least a week and up to 3 weeks before the things down here. I am sure 6 or warmer. Gail

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 6:13PM
debbieg(6)

Thank you Gail. That is what I thought. The man I talked to said he goes by the Western Garden Book, which does rate us differently. I don't really understand the reason behind that.

Debbie

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 7:09PM
backyardener(z6 Idaho)

I consider Boise to be zone 6 (-5 degrees), meaning zone 6 plants should be safe. A lot of winters, especially lately, would put us in zone 7 (0 degrees). Also, if you are in the city, temperatures will likely be slightly warmer than out of town. You can probably grow zone 7 plants with good success, but you might have to protect them if it gets really cold. This is usually do-able for the home gardener. Even a cold winter will probably not kill zone 7 plants, but they might have some injury requiring pruning / re-growth.

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 4:53PM
debbieg(6)

Thank you, that is all very helpful.

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
photinia
Hi, Wanting to grow a 12-month privacy screen on the...
restoringahomestead
I can't be the only one!!!
Where are all the idaho gardeners??
jennwaskow
crocus not blooming?
hello everyone, I'm brand new to this site and just...
alinitap
Suggestions for climbing yellow rose
Hi, I want to plant a yellow climbing rose on my new...
luvidaho_2010
Can anyone identify this mystery plant in my garden?
It's been a strange year for my medicine garden attempts....
Mama_Otter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™