Impatiens scabrida & i.balfourii

bigred(z8 Ark.)January 3, 2008

All info I find says to toss them out where you want them to grow in the fall or early spring but too many of my beds are like that with stuff coming up willy nilly on top of one another. Is it possible for me to start my seed in unheated greenhouse in jiffy pots so I can put them where I want them and after my dormant plants start breaking the ground. I've been guilty in past of digging up,hostas,bloodroot,pink lily-of-the-valley and my gold leaf dicentra because I forgot where they were.

PP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Yes that should be fine. I even have balfourii come up in my greenhouse and I let it drop into the 40s before I turn on the heat. In fact I should have my first seedlings coming up at the end of the month, I already have capensis seedlings. You could also put them in a pot of soil and leave them out for the winter. Impatiens balfourii takes the heat for me fairly well but scabrida likes a cooler shader spot.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigred(z8 Ark.)

Thanks for the info.

I checked out your page yesterday. I only found one problem with it. It gave me another plant obsession..*S*

PP

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
old fashioned busy lizzie (tall gangly variety pink flowers)
if any one is looking for this old fashioned busy lizzie...
DavidmGeary
double impatiens problem
last year i got two double impatiens plants from a...
gonene1
Impatiens pallida
I once saw this at one creek many years ago, and have...
dbarron
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™