Planting in 10 gallon container and then in ground?

caribbeancupcakeApril 29, 2012

Hi,

I am still trying to grow a zone six garden in zone 10.

I have had good results with tomatoes using Tom's 'container in a container" method. I am contemplating permanently planting mophead hydrangeas which I am importing into 10 gallon containers and then submerging them in my planter which I had built to line my patio surrounded with topsoil then mulched.The planter backs up to a wall of boulders which supports the driveway and is poured concrete sixty feet by 30 inches in my entrance garden. It gets about 4 hours of sun a day.I am just not giving up hydrangeas. I have had enough encouragement from my potted hydrangeas to try this I put 7 gallon pots in large containers and then I can control color and moisture. Any advice or thoughts from hydrangea gardeners would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Only the obvious... monitor the soil pH & moisture in a potted environment and choose a location that is not windy. I have seen hydrangeas in the Caribbean and discussed the subject with some people in the University of Puerto Rico. They reported successfully growing hortensias (their name for hydrangeas) in the ground, year around. As a result of the limited amount of dormancy, you may want to try planting some rebloomers as your growing season (and blooming season) will be longer than ours.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™