Oakleaf Hydrangea - Deer Resistant?

paminpa(z6, Pa.)April 17, 2011

I read where Oakleaf Hydrangea's were deer resistant, however recently I see where some have experienced deer damage.

I realize if they can't get food they will eat most anything, but do those of you who are growing this find deer a problem. It was on my list to buy this year, but since I do have occasional problems with deer in our developement I'd like to know before purchasing.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greyandamy

Funny you mention this, as this has been on my mind everyday. I can only speak for myself, but the deer LOVED and sought out mine. And did so much damage. That and the blueberries were ravished (many other things, just not to the same degree)... I'll be interested to see what others say. ALL HYDRANGEAS in the neighborhood this year were eaten (in varying degrees) by the deer. Never had the deer problem until this year. And they still come each night. I'm in PA too.

Amy

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 12:18PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I read where older plants tended to be alone but I cannot test that for lack of deer in this metro area. I can only assume they went elsewhere? :o) And no, I do not want them back either! Hee hee hee!

But if you do a search on the word "deer" in this forum, you will find that they are not picky when it comes to hydrangeas. Dogs and a tall fence might help. Sprays with odors can help too but, you have to reapply them after it rains.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 1:31PM
GAAlan(z7b(on map) 8(imby) Atlanta)

They eat oakleafs readily here. Best solution is fencing.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 1:41PM
esh_ga

I spray Liquid Fence on mine; they do eat them.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 4:25PM
mrgpag

We have a large number of oakleafs in a local arboretum that has a deer population and we do not experience any browse damage. But based on previous responses to this topic, ours are the exception it seems. You might contact a local arboretum/garden/park to see if you do have this issue in your location.
Marshall

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 7:28PM
juliebw(z5 NY)

The deer nibble the branches of this and everything else in my yard in the winter, but don't bother the leaves in the summer. I believe there are other plants they prefer, especially perennials that are all suculent foliage (no tough branches).

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Temperatures supposed to be in mid-twenties...
Saturday night here in piedmont NC...I have seven fairly...
nini804
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon 6a SE MA
What am I doing wrong???
Each summer I have several "Endless Summer"...
tracey3345
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
New addition
New hydrangea I just picked up at Lowes
emrogers
Sponsored Products
6" French Bronze Oakleaf Tube Birdfeeder
Fifthroom.com
2nd Avenue Lighting Oakleaf & Acorn Four-Light Flush Mount Light
LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™