mbrowne(9b Central CA)October 2, 2012

A couple from today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir(z5 detroit)

Very nice!

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 9:59PM
hummersteve

Awesome shots- But I cry foul I dont get any Annas here. IM only guessing are they annas?

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 2:30PM
mbrowne(9b Central CA)

Yep. I mainly see Anna's and an occasional Costa's.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:11PM
sandyslopes z5 n. UT

Amazingly beautiful photos! Each little feather is such a work of art. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 2:57AM
hostanista

I just discovered you and your amazing photographs while browsing this forum (I usually hang around the Hosta Forum). I love hummers and only get Ruby Throats from April to Sept where I live in Canada. I am amazed at your photography and can only assume you are a professional who works for National Geographic or something! I'm drooling all over my computer screen. No amatuer birder can take shots like these, right??! So, tripod and million dollar lense, or what?

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 7:41PM
mbrowne(9b Central CA)

Thanks, Hostanista. I appreciate the compliment :) I think my results would be attainable by most. I use a pretty basic DSLR and lens - a Canon Rebel (T2i) with the lowly 55-250IS lens, handheld. I am fortunate to have conducive weather most of the year and cloudless skies except in Winter. The shots come from my morning coffee ritual - I take my cup of coffee and camera out to a chair in the yard and shoot what comes through. Hummers are my favorite target. The spot gives a good light angle at that time of the day and good perspective on the flowers and feeder. I like fast shutter speeds, so I try to use 1/2000 at least. Other than that, it's just practice :) Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 3:07PM
samhain10(5a - MI)

These are taken handheld? Impressive, to say the least! Haven't used that high a shutter speed before...will have to try it myself! Yeah, morning tea and a walk around the property with camera - heaven. :)

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 8:45AM
hummersteve

mbrowne

Yes I have the same camera and lens plus the kit lens plus another lens I bought for close shots of hummers, flowers , insects and such. [sigma 180mm 3.5 macro] I was lucky to find this lens used nearly new and I love it, prime lens.

I also practice with the high shutter speeds. You have to have lots of strong daylight for the higher shutter speeds.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™