Humming birds still in our backyard - it's getting colder

mielemaidOctober 3, 2010

I'm a bit worried that the hummingbirds haven't gone wintering yet. We live in zone 9, live in N California, in Sonoma county. I just went outside to the backyard and I heard them.

Should I be worried? We still have these lantern like plants they love and they're still blooming.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

Here in CA we have Anna's Hummingbirds all year round. I wouldn't worry about Hummers in Sonoma. We are farther North then you, in the N. Sacramento Valley. We keep feeders up year round. I figure they need the extra food more when it's cold.
Donna

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 6:58PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

In Portland, Oregon, just in the past three years, we've had Anna's winter over. We never used to have them year-round, but we do now! I wouldn't fret too much. I know people in your area who are experiencing the same thing and actually did last year as well.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 2:19PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

This morning at 7AM, we had 7 Anna's at our feeder. They have been mobbing it all day long. The rain we had this weekend didn't slow them down a bit, they were at the feeder all day long.
Donna

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 6:53PM
peter_a

I live in Washington, north of Seattle, and we have plenty of Anna's Hummingbirds now. They stay here all year round.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 8:20PM
hummersteve

Having not spent any time in Ca those different climates you have boggles my mind. Sure wouldnt worry about anything in zone 9.

I also have the pp209 feeders and $9.75 is the best price Ive seen I usually see them discounted at mayble $12.

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 4:54PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

These little creatures are a lot tougher than you would imagine, I noticed three the first day of rough weather last week where it stayed below freezing and put out a feeder, bringing it in at night, mixing the sugar/water ratio a little stronger so it wouldn't freeze as quickly.

Storm passed on Thanksgiving day finally (4 days) and they are still here a week later. I wish I knew where they had gone at night when it was 20F, but apparently they found someplace suitable.

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™