Water Filtration Question

otm46January 5, 2014

New to hydro here.... I am planning on building a DWC system and was wondering if i need any type of water filtration. I was thinking that maybe I would put in a UV aquarium light just to keep the water bacteria free. Is a UV light harmful to the plant/roots? Is it a good idea?...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PupillaCharites(FL 9a)

Hi there, there are good and bad bacteria, so continuious sterilization isn't necessary nor a good idea unless it is a Rx to recover from a specific disease or infection.

More importantly, using UV will likely drop a lot of micronutrients out of solution and degrade the quality of your fertilizer. I like to run a cleaner system than most, but sometimes being a clean freak opens it wide for a real pathogen to invade and destroy everything. When you have somewhat of a biosphere going on, the competition between innocous, beneficial and the few bad microbes tends to stabilize against 'invasions'

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 4:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

Your need for water filtration depends on the quality and content of the water that you are starting with. Most people's tap water is ok, especially if you let it sit out a few days first. But some people have water that is very high in calcium or iron, and those are not going to evaporate out like the chorine/chloramine water treatment chemicals.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Non-profit sustainable farm needs help to re-plumb hydro-system
We had two old hydroponics grow tables both about 4x4...
brettkp808
Nutrient Selection
I want to know people's experiences with different...
meenwiz
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™