Serrata 'Preziosa' Hydrangea Hardiness...

gardenlady48(z5 IL)April 9, 2012

can anyone tell me w/experience what is the tolerance of cold temps for Preziosa, before it will kill last years buds??

I have new growth at the bottom....I thought I recognized new dark small buds on last years stems, but I can't really tell if they are 'burnt', or fresh and 'new'??

please share your experience and thank you for your time. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Preziosa is hardy only to Zone 6 and will require winter protection if you wish to have blooms and protect the stems. On a mild year, you may get by with some blooms in some stems but on a very cold winter, all stems could dry out and then all growth would come from the crown (there would be no blooms).

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 7:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenscout(z6 NE RI)

My experience:

I have two of them in different parts of my yard and they bloom like crazy no matter how cold it gets in the winter or what kind of spring frosts I get. One of them is under a White Pine canopy, and the other is out in practically full sun with no protection at all. I have never covered them or done anything special to them at all.

All of my Hydrangeas (Macros and Serratas) have somewhat blackened leaf tips this year, but there is green growth emerging from under the black, so I think they'll be fine.

But this year has been weird, so we'll see.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™