I have some seeds chillin' in the fridge and wonder if there is any benefit to freezing them for a few days. I assume they would be frozen in the wild. Too risky?
There really is no reason too, they should be fine. They survive as far north as Canada and many parts of Europe. You could even put them in a pot and set them out side and have them come up in the spring on their own. Sometimes babying them doesn't help, they need tough love.
Thanks for responding but there's a new development- After posting I went to check the seeds for fungus etc. and they're germinating! Oops! I wasn't prepared for that! I'm not ready with space under the lights. I see white roots but no seed leaves yet. How long can they stay in the fridge? Should they come out now? Ideally I would want to wait another month but if now is the time then that's that!
I wouldn't leave them in the frige if they are germinating. Plant them up and make room under the lights or in a window. Good luck!
I would urge caution introducing this plant to your gardens. Maybe it depends on your climate but it is a beautiful but noxious invasive in much of Europe. In the UK conservationists expend a lot of effort trying to eradicate it from river banks where it is capable of completely out-competing the native flora. I believe it is also listed in some US states.
flora_uk- thanks for the warning- but I don't think it will be a problem here. I tried several years ago and the plants grew and bloomed then when the heat hit of summer hit they all just fizzled out. We have extreme heat and humidity and I don't think glandulifera likes it too much. I have nice seedlings now and will try again because they are very beautiful and would love for a few to reseed around. I know that may sound strange for an invasive plant but, of course, plants act differently in different climates. Somehow I don't see it that it will become a problem.
Last year,I chilled mine in zip lock baggies of moist vermucilite,checking them every so often then when I saw the radicale sprouting out,I potted them up in peat pots.
How about the pale yellow, "Yellow Helmet" seed that I got from Ebay. There were seven seeds and I planted 4 in seed growing mix on March 1. Nothing coming yet. Put 3 in fridge. Maybe I should have put them all in fridge? If they have been on a heat mat since March 1 could I still put them in fridge for stratifying? Maybe they would just think there was a warm spell in the fall and now it is winter? Not sure how all that works.
How about Poor Man's Orchid. Should that seed be stratified?
I also have the Glandulifera White from Ebay the I planted 3 in seeding mix and put 3 in fridge on March 1. Nothing showing yet.
Another question. Should these larger impatiens seeds be covered a bit or can they be on top of the soil?