Blondie, Rose Parade, African Orchids

nordenlights(z8 CA)February 23, 2004

Just wanted to say thank you for helping me get better at germinating impatiens seed!! Last year I got two seedlings from 30 seeds and it took them more than one month to come up. This year 9 of 10 African Orchids, 7 of 10 Rose Parade and 8 of 10 Blondie have germinated after nine days!

What did I do differently? After reading the tips on gardenweb I invested in a thermometer and growing lights so I could keep the temperature more constant between 68-77 F. I keept the lights on 24/7 and the heat from them was enough to warm the soil.

Cost: In- out thermometer $10, growing lights 2*$12 for two 4 feet ShopLights, Home Depot. The lights will of course also keep the seedlings happy (-:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calla_lady(Z8b N. Calif)

Norden lights, awesome to hear about your Impatiens seeds germinating. By any chance did you get these from Burpee?
I am contemplating placing an order for some myself.

Bookmark   February 26, 2004 at 1:16PM
nordenlights(z8 CA)

Yes I did get the seeds from Burpee!

Bookmark   February 26, 2004 at 3:04PM
Dave_zone_5(Zone 5a/4b Wisc)

hmmm, I just started Blondie and African Orchard seeds myself. I just posted a new thread in this forum asking why others have said germinating them is so hard.

Like Norden Lights 90% are up after 9 days. I used a heat mat without thermostat and a humidity dome. Temp fluctuations were about 20 degrees F which I thought would doom me. The seeds are from Burpee.

Bookmark   March 3, 2004 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
New Guinea Impatiens flowers fading fast
Hi all, I planted my NGI in a bed back in May. It took...
valeriej1
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
winter storage of I.flaniganae tuber?
Should tubers of this species be stored cool and dry...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™