start date for hybrid impatiens

denidillFebruary 7, 2004

Hi All,

I grew the Busy Lizzie impatiens last year on March 13th as my start date and all went well. This year, I have a hybrid called Accent Sunrise Mix that says to start Jan 25th-Mar 15th. I was wondering about the different start dates, since if Busy Lizzie would have grown out of her pots if I started in Jan.

I was going to try a start date of Feb 28th with the Accent impatiens. How does this sound? I am putting them out in a cold frame for a couple weeks, prior to planting them in the garden May 22nd. (A little early in my zone, but I cover them with sheets, etc to protect against any frost.)

Denise ,

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Sounds like a good start date to me. You do get pretty cold up there. I have seedlings popping up everywhere right now. Sunrise mix is a very nice choice very pretty flowers.

Bookmark   February 8, 2004 at 4:48PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I sow Impatiens in January since I find they need extra time both to germinate and grow to bedding size. Others plant as little as 8 weeks before last frost. I think warm growing conditions and better light (possibly more fertiliser) accounts for the difference in growing speed. Mine are grown in natural light and quite cool conditions.

Bookmark   February 9, 2004 at 6:36AM
kdjoergensen

It depends on your indoors growing temperature.

If you have a fairly warm basement (basically do not fall below 60 deg F), 8 weeks prior to planting out for accent impatiens are more than enough time. When greenhouse sown where night temperatures can go into the 50's and even 40's then a longer period would be warranted.

In any event, unless you have really cool night temperatures, then I recommend waiting until maximum 10 weeks before planting out. If this date is june 1st in your area (or even june 15th ?) then starting by march 15th would create a monster of a plant unless you can transplant to 6" pots ??

I.e. if you grow your impatiens relatively warm (above 60 deg F night temperatures) no more than 8-10 weeks MAX. If you grow your impatiens cooler then a few more weeks, but do not start them in january. These dates given on the packages are general information to cover multiple zones...

Bookmark   February 10, 2004 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
Impatiens
I plant my impatiens among my hostas in partial shade....
Glen4sure
Wimpy New Guinea Impatiens :(
I bought this particular NGI (the orange one on the...
christy51274
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™