Impatiens Identification

mvericsson(ME)February 25, 2004

Could anyone help me to identify an unknown Impatiens? I have posted a pic in the gallery, I have no experience with these plants, any help would be very greatly appreciated!

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Marie
What color are the flowers? Do the leaves come in whrols or are they alternating? It looks like it could be Impatiens sodenii. Check the gallery Callalady post a pic of I. ugenensis which by some are the same species.

Bookmark   February 25, 2004 at 10:05PM
calla_lady(Z8b N. Calif)

Marie didn't you say that the flowers are hot pink and maybe 2 -2 1/2" in the other forum?

Bookmark   February 26, 2004 at 1:14PM
mvericsson(ME)

Yes, the flowers are hot pink, but they are only 3/4'' in diameter, they are on 2-2 1/2'' receptacles however. There are four petals on the flowers, with one "spur". The leaves occur in an alternating pattern, though they have always been very thick at the ends of the mostly bare stems, where the flowers are produced. The stems are succulent and very green, except at nodes of leaves it is reddish.

It is hard for me to identify any similarities between my plant and the I. urgenensis in the gallery, I would really have to see the leaves and growth pattern to be sure. I have done multiple image searches on google etc., but I have found no blatant matches with my plant. Thank you so much for both of your help, though, I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   February 26, 2004 at 8:41PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Marie's plant:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 4:20PM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Marie
I looked at the pic a little closer its not Impatiens ugenensis but maybe a wild collected walleriana. If the flowers are flat than most likely that is what it is. I have a few wild ones and one is very large about 3ft. and the stems look somewhat like yours. Even the wild ones grow pretty tall I have one that is about 2ft. When they are happy the leaves get very long almost 7 inches and the flowers are always smaller then they hybrids.
Derick

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Volunteer Impatiens in zone 4
How low a zone can impatiens reseed? This year I have...
fieldofflowers
Impatiens...do they really do well in full sun?
I'm not sure if it was the variety of impatiens I purchased...
gwendolyn718
impatiens leaf rolling down lengthways
http://imgur.com/6saiWNb I live in singapore which...
cameocamel
Damping off - Captan
Last weekend I planted four pots of store-bought impatiens....
Creek-side
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™