I've got Impatiens seedlngs! Now what?

lewdog(4)February 13, 2012

Hello,

I am trying my darndest to grow impatiens from seed. This is my first attempt. At this point they have germinated (just this morning). I have them uncovered under florescent lighting with heating mats in my basement. They are in very very moist soil. I followed these instructions from Iowa State University: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/2-9-1996/impa.html

My first question is, do they continue to need 24/7 lighting before the 7 - 10 day transplanting into the larger cell packs?

If anyone could help me out... that would be so awesome!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franknjim

Take them off of the heat mat. Heat is only needed for germination. I would leave the lights on 12 to 16 hours a day with the lights being just a few inches from the seedlings. If you worry that the soil is too wet you can put a fan on them set on low speed. It will dry it up and also help make stronger plants.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 7:10PM
lewdog(4)

Thanks franknjim!!!

I'm taking them off the heat mat today cause I think the germination process is done (about 75%!!). I plan on transplanting the junior impatiens in six pack cells with a non-soil mixture. They will be in my basement with fluorescent lighting for 16 hours each day. I plan on covering them with plastic lids. I hope I have this right.
Again any thoughts and assistance would be much appreciated!! Again, thanks franknjim!!!!!

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:55PM
franknjim

They won't need to be covered once they are up. Covering them is to keep the humidity high during germination.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Impatiens
I plant my impatiens among my hostas in partial shade....
Glen4sure
impatiens leaf rolling down lengthways
http://imgur.com/6saiWNb I live in singapore which...
cameocamel
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
White spots on Impatiens Pedals
I'm new to gardening and a couple of days ago, I went...
Christal91
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™