Help W/ injured hummer Please

pookie333November 19, 2010

For 2 months I have been trying to get help with an injured humming bird. I hope this post doesn't get me in trouble, I know it's illegle to keep a hummer but I live out in the country. I have tried to call and e-mail several

rehabs but get no answers, other than I can get in trouble if I keep this bird.

I'll try to make this short- found an injured bird, I put him up in a flower basket thinking he would fly away. I left him for two days out side in the basket. I kept feeding him from the feeder out side. Started looking for help at that point. I brought him in and started feeding him hard boiled egg yolk and bird vitamins in nectar. In another feeder I just put nectar. I have him living in a mesh cat carrier. He is doing very well except for loosing a few feathers. That's my story. Can Anyone Please help?

Thanks In advance in case the hummingbird police come to get me now that I posted this for all the world to see.

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mboston_gw

Yiou don't say where you live but I hope you find help and that you have hummers during the winter time. If not, you are probably going to have to raise it through the cold weather. You didn't ID the bird either so I am assuming it is a Ruby throated. Sorry, I don't have any help to give other than knowing they eat insects and need both nectar and protein to live. You must be doing it some good since its still alive. How was/is it hurt? Can it fly at all?

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 2:17PM
pookie333

I live in eastern ky. The hummer isn't a ruby throat I don't know exactly what kind he is but he is green. He can't fly, I think he has an injured wing. When he wants to move he spins in circles. He does get himself to the feeder himself but I make sure I feed him often.
Today my nephew brought me a bird cage, so now he has more room and more light. I just can't believe he's lived this long but I could not see leaving him to die outside.

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 3:03PM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

You might try posting about this on another hummer forum where some experts read/post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Barcelona Six-Light Chandelier
$286.00 | Bellacor
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Radial Shade White, Black Cord
Home Depot
Access Lighting Prong C20446BSWHTEN1218B Fluorescent Wall Sconce Multicolor - C2
$144.00 | Hayneedle
Stag Head Wine Stopper with Stand - MULTI COLORS
$225.00 | Horchow
Jofran 733-96 Rustic Hewn Rectangle Fixed Top Dining Table w/ Trestle Base
Beyond Stores
Camera Music Box
$39.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™