annabelle transplants

thorn_grower(Zone 5)April 3, 2010

Was given two pots in the fall, wintered them over and planted them today. Wasn't much root that I could see but lots of green buds emerging from the soil. Is there anything I should be doing to ensure there survival.

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Hello, Mark. Keep them well mulched (3-4" of any type of mulch) up to the drip line or one feet away since they are new kids on the block. Water when the soil feels almost dry or dry (insert a finger to a depth of 4"). If the pots contained fertilizer pellets, do not fertilize this year; fertilize in June of 2011 with 1 cup of cottonseed meal, manure, compost or you can also use a general purpose slow-release fertilizer like Osmocote. The plant can get 4-6' wide so choose a spot where it will be crowded out. Sprinkle coffee grounds thru the growing season but stop all fertilizers by July in order to prepare the plant for winter.

Note: I would have planted it about two weeks after your average date of last frost. Should a late frost visit, feel free to cover/protect the shrub. The low temps may zap the new leaves but new should eventually grow again.

Luis

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™