Impatiens for Georgia Sun...????

moochie22March 2, 2005

Question. Know full well that impatiens are best in shade or partial shade. Having said that, do any of you know of any varieties that DO work well in sun, or almost full sun? Or have any of you had any success here in the sweltering southeast??

Thanks in advance..

Mooch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Mooch
I live in the California Valley here temps here get into the 100s a lot. I have seen them getting some morning sun till almost the afternoon. But I dont know which kinds they are. I dont think they would like to have full sun all day as a species they prefer shade even the grassland African species will die down to the roots in the hot dry season.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 3:56PM
Enid(8a)

Last year I dropped some bug infested cutting by a drippy outside faucet in full sun and they thrived, looked better than the pampered ones in the pot. They were the common cheap walleriana. My suggestion, as long as they are well watered they will thrive, this guys had constant wet feet and bloomed prodigiusly.

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 3:30AM
flybynyte(Z4 NE-SD)

I believe I read where impatiens 'Tango' does very well in sun. It produces green foliage with an orange flower. I am planning on purchasing a cordyline plant for the center of a large container and adding impatiens 'Tango' along with plants with some blue in them.

If anyone knows anything different about 'Tango', I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Randy

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 8:35AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Impatiens Tango is a hawkeri X platypetala hybrid. It all depends on where you live. All Impatiens do better in shade with filtered light. NGHIs prefer morning sun but not hot sun this will kill them or they wont be at their best.

Bookmark   April 16, 2005 at 11:39PM
Mimi_Carol(35121 - AL)

I am by no means an impatiens expert but mine are in full sun from approximately 8:00 a.m. until about 1:00 p.m. I plant the Walmart variety (grin) and the "volunteer" variety. Mine have been gorgeous the past two years. My success (I think) is I mulch around the base of the plants and they get watered every other day via the sprinkler system.

Mimi

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
winter storage of I.flaniganae tuber?
Should tubers of this species be stored cool and dry...
rredbbeard
Pollinating species (i.platypetala)?
I have two plants of this which I started from separate...
rredbbeard
Impatiens...do they really do well in full sun?
I'm not sure if it was the variety of impatiens I purchased...
gwendolyn718
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™