Roots of flower

pfinger1March 11, 2004

I have a garden bed which is covered with huge tree roots. I can't really dig too deep and was wondering if I get a few bags of good quality planting soil and build a few mounds will that be good enough for impatiens? Is there any way I can get them too survive well in conditions like this? The roots don't go deep, right? How high of a mound would I need to build to get them to last?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CCChad(NSW Aust)

That sounds like an excellent idea,because the trees above will provide shade that impatiens love.
In my experience I've noticed that impatiens have a shallow root system,and they tend to go sideways rathar than down, so you wouldn't need to mound it up very high.
Good Luck

Bookmark   March 11, 2004 at 7:58PM
joy4me(z6 NY)

It really looks nice to have flowers around tree bases. I would use rocks, bricks or the like to keep the soil from washing away, it dosen't have to be too deep for most shallow annuals. Say 8 to 12 inches. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 17, 2004 at 3:27PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Impatiens need plenty of water. Mounds of soil dry out quickly and tree roots quickly remove water in summer, plus any rain will not make it under the canopy. Make sure you provide plenty of extra water and you should get a nice display.

Bookmark   March 18, 2004 at 4:50AM
More Discussions
Impatiens
I plant my impatiens among my hostas in partial shade....
Glen4sure
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
impatiens leaf rolling down lengthways
http://imgur.com/6saiWNb I live in singapore which...
cameocamel
Impatiens pallida
I once saw this at one creek many years ago, and have...
dbarron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™