late hummer visits

lilyfantn(z6TN)November 10, 2012

Hello everyone - I seem to have a very late visitor to my hummer feeder. Usually here in the mountains of NE Tn. my last hummer sighting is in early October. So I took my feeders in a few weeks ago. This past Wednesday a hummer hovered in front of my living room window at face level while I was looking out. I could SWEAR it was asking for the feeder to be put out again! So I cooked up some more sugar water and put it out. Today I once again saw a hummer at the feeder. I am assuming it is the same one but I am not positive.

I noticed that other people have commented in some of the posts on late migration in their areas too. I wonder if this is a widespread phenomenon this year? Occasionally we have hummers here that spend the whole winter. But I think these are not the same as the summer residents. Any thoughts about this from any of you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir(z5 detroit)

wow, that's late! I wonder if the southern hummer folk are seeing less/has there been a delay in their arrival?

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:02PM
linda_tx8(8)

I've had one around for a while now. Guess it's a winter resident. I have to move the feeder from time to time because of some critter that would drain the feeder at night. By moving it, there's less tampering with it. The hummer seems to find it regardless!

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 11:19PM
Iris Hendry

Hi everyone !! I am in southern Maryland and we continue to see hummers almost every day ! I've been researching this and it seems it is a western hummer invasion / phenomenon this year ! so cool ! I worry that it will get too cold for them but hope they will know when and if it is time to migrate to warmer climates.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Sponsored Products
Kansas City Royals Mini Table
$12.99 | zulily
Z-Lite Cardinal 5-light Olde Bronze Vanity
Overstock.com
Water Creation F6-0007-03 Vintage Classic 7-inch Spread Deck Mount Tub Faucet wi
Overstock.com
Bourgie Table Lamp by Kartell
$450.00 | Lumens
Hadrington Multicolor Porcelain Jar Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Adagio Deep Creek Falls Fountain w/ Rajah Natural Slate in Rustic Copper Finish
SerenityHealth
Faceted La Joconde Print
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Maxim Glimmer 24" Wide Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: