liquiid seaweed

swcurry(z7 TX)March 24, 2004

Hi,

I planted my impatients today. I have read about and bought some liquid seaweed, I bought it to add to my potting mix for seeds. Does anyone know if it would wise to fertilize impatients with it.

Thanks,

Sonya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

Liquid seaweed is normally an additive (e.g. micro nutrients) as opposed to a fertilizer (macro nutrients). It is often used as a supplement to a regular fertilizer program.. not instead of..

A liquid seaweed fertilizer often contain iron, manganese, etc e.g/ a lot of the micronutrients which the main fertilizers may lack.

I don't know which product you bought and if any nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium is included ?
Does it have a NPK rating ??

Impatiens are very light feeders e.g. they should not be given much nitrogen, and feeding with a high nitrogen fertilizer will result in tall, lush plants but with few flowers.

Fish fertilizers (Fish Emulsion) usually comes in ratios such as 5-1-1 NPK e.g. a lot of nitrogen compared to phosphorus/potassium.

If what you have is the seaweed additive (e.g. supplies micro nutrients, but not N-P-K) then it is ok to use in addition to your usual fertilizer (not instead of). If the product you bought has high nitrogen compared to phosphorus/potassium (e.g. such as 5-1-1) then don't use it. YOu will end up with no flowers.

I use Mor-Bloom from Alaska (fish based) to fertilize impatiens. It provides no nitrogen but plenty of phosphorus and potassium. I alternate it with a regular 20-20-20 synthetic fertilizer which I apply very very sparingly and extremely diluted. In this way you get many more blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: mor-bloom

Bookmark   March 24, 2004 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
Impatiens
I plant my impatiens among my hostas in partial shade....
Glen4sure
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™