balfourii seeds

crazyforcorelli(z5 utah)March 20, 2005

Is balfourii difficult to grow from seed?

One month ago, I planted 12 balfourii seeds (purchased from Hortus Botanicus) in 2 pony packs, which were placed in a flat with walleriana hybrids. I covered the flat with a humidity dome and placed it on a heat mat (set to 75 degrees). These steps comply with the directions given on the packets for kinds of seeds.

After two weeks, many of the walleriana had germinated, so I took the flat off the heat mat (to make room for other seeds). Those that had sprouted have contined to grow, and others have since germinated. However, the bafourii still have not shown any signs of life.

Any clues to what I'm doing wrong? Do these seeds take longer than 30 days to germinate? Do they need more or less heat, light, or anything else?

Also, should I try to salvage those balfourii seeds I've already sown, or should I start over with new ones?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Crazy
Impatiens balfourii likes to be left out in the cold. It is from the Himalayas and temps in its native habatat get pretty cold. I would put them outside and let them go through a cold spell no need to start new ones. I have some getting ready to flower now, but I live in a Zone 9. Its one of the easiest species to start by seed. I am not sure how cold it will take it but it should take down into the 20s. I would collect seed in the fall and keep them in the fridge until you are sure that they will reseed for you.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 9:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crazyforcorelli(z5 utah)

Will do! Thanks for the advice.

We're still in the mid- to low 30s at night; I hope that's cold enough for 'em!

I was storing the seeds in the fridge before I planted them (and the remainder are still in my crisper drawer). Silly me! I let them warm up to room temperature before I sowed them.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
Pollinating species (i.platypetala)?
I have two plants of this which I started from separate...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™