impatiens as house plant-light???

Denise403(3a Alberta)April 7, 2004

Hello,

I grow some Accent Sunrise Mix impatiens and it was a dismal turnout. I managed to salvage a paltry 6 plants and want to propagate these for next year. So I hope to grown them as houseplants. How much light do they need in the winter? Is a sunny window good enough, or do I need to use my grow lights? How big do they get as houseplants?

Thanks,

Denise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

A sunny window is just fine. If you find the plant getting too long (stretching) you can always pinch it back a couple of times.

They wont get as big indoors, as they do outdoors, but a 5" round pot initially and maybe upgrade to a 8 or 10" round pot later.

Just make sure you use a well draining growing media, as soil tends to stay damper in winter. It is better to keep them on the dry side.

Funny you should mention accent impatiens. We had 3 flats of impatiens seeds (two accents and 1 tempo). The two accents damped off with a handful of plants remaining, whereas the tempo did a lot better. We re-did one flat with a mixture of various cultivars. The mosiac germinated 100% and the others about 75-80%... I think it is a coincidence, but you are starting to get me thinking about the accents !!!

Bookmark   April 7, 2004 at 1:19PM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

The accent seeds I got from Parks had 100% germination. The accents I got elsewhere had less than 50% germination. I'd recommend getting them from Parks in the future. That's what I'm going to do.

Bookmark   April 9, 2004 at 1:37AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

You might want to move them to a less sunny window in summer or they will fry. They make great houseplants. They tend to grow more upright indoors and can reach 2' tall in time. You'll probably be pinching stems fairly often for your cuttings so yours won't get that big.

Bookmark   April 9, 2004 at 12:26PM
dawgie(z7NC)

Some impatien seeds germinated in the pot of a houseplant we had on our deck last summer. They apparently seeded from a nearby impatien plant in another container. After we brought the houseplant back in the house for the winter, the impatiens continued to grow and flower all winter long. The plant is near a bright window. We plan to grow more impatiens as houseplants next winter.

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Wimpy New Guinea Impatiens :(
I bought this particular NGI (the orange one on the...
christy51274
Pollinating species (i.platypetala)?
I have two plants of this which I started from separate...
rredbbeard
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
White spots on Impatiens Pedals
I'm new to gardening and a couple of days ago, I went...
Christal91
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™