Plant a potted hydrangea?

oddityApril 10, 2010

I received a potted hydrangea for Easter. My MIL got it from a grocery store. Is this a plant that can be put in the ground with any possible hope of success or should I toss it? If planting is an option, should I put it in full sun or part sun? Thanks! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindjo2(6)

Hydrangeas do well in morning sun and afternoon shade. I have mine in my shade garden. I would plant it with fertilizer and water it in.. worth a shot what zone are you in?

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:34PM
gardengal48

Hydrangeas sold in bloom now are florist's or greenhouse hydrangeas. They often do not transition well into the garden in colder zones. You can certainly attempt to do so but I wouldn't hold my breath :-) And you will need to wait until after last frost - these are not cold tolerant plants - and then gradually acclimate to the outdoors over a period of time. And it will definitely require winter protection in your zone to survive and hopefully rebloom. A part shade location for sure - morning sun OK.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 8:53AM
oddity

Thanks for the responses. :)

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 3:23PM
cyncorzo

i live in south florida and recently received a french hydrangea as a gift it was potted in one of those store containers. I put it in a clay/ceramic pot in a shaded porch - no direct sun but lots of heat and humidity - for a few weeks but it seemed to wilt, flowers and stems were droopy. Now i've brought it inside. will it do better if i take it back outside or how can i make it thrive indoors? any suggestions? THANKS

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 4:05PM
msalcido(7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth))

I bought one of these not aware that it was a greenhouse arrangement. I planted it in the ground where it gets water daily by the springler system, gets only morning sun and is shaded by a big tree. It is doing extremely well and the blooms are amazing.
I'm curious to know if you ever planted and if so what is the outcome?

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 4:56PM
msalcido(7/8 (Dallas/Ft.Worth))

Here are a couple of pics of the one that I purchased at the grocery store and planted in the ground. It seems to be thriving.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 9:15PM
bgtimber75

I received a greenhouse one probably 5-6 years ago and this is the first season I'm seeing any sort of bloom on it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Sponsored Products
Garden Party Botanical Arrangement
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Cactus Vases
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Paradise Oval Light Blue Ceramic Garden Stool
Overstock.com
Fosters Point Urn With Hydrangea Trailing Lily Apple
Beyond Stores
Version 1.0 Full Planter by Pad Outdoor
$194.00 | Lumens