help some impatiens seedling dying

grenthum(z5 MI USA)April 2, 2005

I am growing several varieties of impatiens from seed. I have excellent germination under lights on heating pads. Germination is not the problem. Some of the seedlings are loosing their first leaves with none to follow. They look as if burnt away. The little leaves turn brown at the edges and curl up and wither away. I do not believe it is damp off as they are still standing straight up. After the majority sprouted, I shut off the bottom heat so I don't think they are too warm. They are about 4 inches from flourescent lights. Others in the same tray are thriving and about to be transplanted. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Did you spray them with anything? Imps dont like oil based sparys and will cause a burning like affect so will over fertilizing.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 12:13AM
grenthum(z5 MI USA)

No, I did not spray them with anything. I have taken off their humidity domes and just now have been spritzing them with water thinking they might need that. This started before the water misting.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 10:29AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

It could have been the taking off the domes. One should take them them off slowly just a little at a time until the leaves have a chance to harden off. The misting should help.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
Busy lizzie
The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.
DavidmGeary
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Busy Lizzy Cuttings Available.
Cuttings from this Busy Lizzy old fashioned tall pink....
DavidmGeary
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™