Non Partisan Study on Compassion

Elly_NJ(NJ z6)February 26, 2012

I found this non-partisan study very interesting.

[New Study Finds Humans May Have Some Capacity For Compassion

FEBRUARY 2, 2012 : ISSUE 4805 ](http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-study-finds-humans-may-have-some-capacity-for,27245/)

TUCSON, AZ. A University of Arizona study published this week in the American Journal Of Sociology suggests that some adult humans may occasionally feel compassion, a trait scientists have long considered beyond the capacity of the species. "A small percentage of the roughly 900 subjects we observed seemed at times to exhibit genuine empathy toward another person experiencing either psychological or physical pain," said the study's lead author, Dr. Benjamin Trumble, who later added that these individuals did not appear as though they were looking to gain anything from their compassionate reactions, but, to the surprise of researchers, were simply concerned about another person's well-being. "Of course, we'll need to conduct further tests to rule out the possibility that these demonstrations weren't the result of statistical noise or the expression of some sort of very, very rare genetic mutation." The study also reaffirmed previous research indicating that 95 percent of individuals are capable of convincingly feigning compassion.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Elly, how funny and how provocative. These librul profs will stop at nothing to put down conservative yahoos' demands for personal responsibility and no sex before marriage.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 7:49AM
labrea_gw

got to love the Onion particularly the way they do it at Kwan Yin dumpling house!~

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 7:59AM
paulines(New England)

I feel that most people have some level of compassion, although many times it's misplaced or offset by ignorance or frustration.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:05AM
mrskjun(9)

Well, we know that conservatives are compassionate with their charitable giving. We know that liberals are compassionate, they always want to give you the shirt off someone else's back.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:19AM
ohiomom

Wonder if they used a "label maker", from the few responses here I would guess yes.

What size do you wear MrsK ? I mean if I am going to give away your shirt I should know what size it is, or are you one who wears "one size fits all" ? From your comment, I would guess yes :)

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:25AM
labrea_gw

oink

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:25AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

The study also reaffirmed previous research indicating that 95 percent of individuals are capable of convincingly feigning compassion.

And this thread will prove that!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:37AM
mrskjun(9)

omg ohiomom, that was a joke, but I forget that liberals don't have much of a sense of humor...at least I should know that from reading this forum. btw...I'm a fatty..size 10..but I've already given mine away.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:47AM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

omg mrskjun, this liberal without "much of a sense of humor" sure finds it humorous that you took a satirical piece, didn't check the link, and then made snide comments about liberal compassion and lack of humor.

I posted this to see who bothers to read links and who twists things to get partisan.

Bazinga!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:51AM
mrskjun(9)

I read your link elly...and don't think you see anything as humorous.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:22AM
Elly_NJ(NJ z6)

And again: Bazinga.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:30AM
althea_gw

I think more research needs be done with a larger sample. It should be double blind, with placebos too. :)

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:51AM
labrea_gw

How insulting calling me a librule, puh leasssssze!
I am a republican meat puppet, a left test anarcho fly trap!
I do like flys levi 501's mnnn
A Homolectual a rabble trouser!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:58AM
inkognito

Is commiepassion a Russian plot is a sensayuma obligatory when trying to avoid a partisan ship? All these questions and more will be answered when you sign up for the Donald Rumsfeld daily podcast "unknown knowns".

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:39AM
jodik_gw

But, Elly, don't we really already know? Bazinga! ;-)

And, Marshallz... would you really buy a car without test driving it first, to see how it handled?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:55PM
elvis

inkognito, just now you sounded like the poster I shall not name, you know, the one with that disoriented, rambling, jibberish thing going on. That's not like you; normally you sound very rational. What was that, dare I ask?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:16PM
demifloyd(8)

Probably his nephew.

ROTF!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:26PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Demi, why are you rolling on the floor?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:51PM
demifloyd(8)

I do it for Labrea.

Private Joke.

:)

I have found that people have different definitions of compassion and that it is therefore, subjective.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:57PM
labrea_gw

Lol roll Demi roll tear it up have a good time!
Oh Elvis stawwwwp being coy a poster who shall remain nameless tskkkkkk! Can' t even enjoy a little jabber wonky!
Amazing sown thing from the onion is sooooo serious!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 3:30PM
fouquieria(10b)

Where's the coat hanger when I need it?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 3:43PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Mrskjun is pleasantly fullsome...who the heck wants to cuddle a stick in size 4?

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:21PM
labrea_gw

I looked at a Doctor in the Hospital the other day what are you a 1 or a 0...she was a 1 on a good day! EWWWWW! Skeletor!
I had compassion for her lack of good chocolate

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:57PM
mrskjun(9)

I comfort myself knowing that Marilyn Monroe was a size 10, and I'd still rather look like that than Twiggy. lol

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 5:15AM
mylab123(z5NW)

There are now making sample sizes now in the negatives, something all good little actresses and models are currently striving for. Size 0-1 as the perfect size is so 2010! So I've been told anyway, I do hope my friend is incorrect.

I think if a woman was built like Marilyn MOnroe today, she would fit in today's current size of 6 or perhaps 8 on a bloated day. They have dramatically down sized the up sizes of yesteryear. The tactic sells more clothes that way.

Seriously.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 12:58AM
jodik_gw

When it comes right down to it, though, Labrea... a lot of things are subjective.

Who the hell do they make size 1 clothing for? I've never been anywhere NEAR a size 1... not even as a teenager! Some women might think anorexia is a good look, but I think if you took a real survey, you'd find that most guys like a little meat stretched over the bones.

Of course, there's a difference between normal feminine curvy, and obese...

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 1:15AM
mylab123(z5NW)

I doubt that any hetro male (and maybe could convert a few non-hetros too *LOL*) would turn down Eva Mendes! And that is one *very* gorgeous, very curvey woman who is not in any way even plump. But she is probably "thicker" than most actresses wish to be.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Deserter - Bergdahl
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bowe-bergdahl-to-be-charged-with-desertion-his-attorney-says/ Finally...
paprikash
The Governor of Maine v. Stephen King
King - 1 LePage - 0 (IMO, the Governor is one of...
momj47
Jeb prepared to be 3rd Bush to use Military in Iraq
This is from the article in the link But he has said...
enmc
Anyone remember this?
I just love this show. Just thought about it again...
asleep_in_the_garden
Ever wonder what is in those semis with the American flags on them?
Up to 15 different chemicals in 55-gallon drums. (These...
Lena M
Sponsored Products
Rachael Ray Porcelain II Nonstick 5 qt. Covered Oval Saute with Helper Handle -
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Presidential Picks Bethesda Mink 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Commercial Electric 4 in. White Baffle Trim HBR201LWH
$12.47 | Home Depot
Chisholm Trail Grey Classic Stone Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
MaxLite RR62640W 6 inch can LED Retrofit, 4000K
EnvironmentalLights.com