Scented flowers?

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)December 22, 2012

Newbie here... I was just reading in a book that hummers prefer red, unscented, tubular flowers. I was wondering - is there a positive dislike of scent, or is it just that scent has no role in attracting them? The same book, for instance, talks about Japanese honeysuckle being very attractive to rubythroats, and it certainly has quite a fragrance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_tx8(8)

Hummingbirds like whatever the flowers they like. I don't think they necessarily dislike scented flowers. If you plant the flowering plants known to attract hummingbirds, you should have a good hummingbird garden. I've noticed that hummingbirds also go to some flowering plants that I've never seen on the usual lists, so don't be surprised if other kinds of flowers are used also.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 10:41PM
Eric580

Hummingbirds love scented flowers! Its just that since they can't really smell it doesn't play a huge role in attracting them. They don't discourage hummingbirds.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 11:29PM
handfeeder(3)

Hummingbirds have very little to no sense of smell, so it's not a factor. They have very keen eye sight though and the color red is easy for them to spot, that's why they are attracted to it.

My goal is to one day have my whole yard surrounded by Japanese honeysuckle. Give me a day when it's in bloom and there is a slight breeze blowing into my backyard and it's the closest thing to Heaven I have ever experienced! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: howtoenjoyhummingbirds.com

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 5:06AM
Eric580

Japanese Honeysuckle? That is such an invasive species. I would have coral honeysuckle. Lonicera Sepervirens.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™