Time To Move?

ttoddApril 25, 2012

I have 3 Nikko Blue bushes between 7-10yrs old. They used to be in dappled afternoon shade thanks to a huge evergreen tree but the tree had to come down after beginning to collapse under the weight of it's own limbs. Since then, for the past 4yrs the Nikko Blues have been in unrelenting sunlight from sunup to sundown. Each year the leaves and branches look more and more sickly and weak looking despite watering constantly, sometimes 2x/ day depending on how they look come late afternoon. Often the leaves look burned. Do Hydrangea leaves burn like hosta leaves?

I'm thinking that maybe it would benefit them to relocate them to the side of the house where my other Nikko Blues are still flourishing under more shaded and moister conditions.

What do you think? Could moving be the answer for these poor bushes? If so I'd like to do it very soon.

Thank yo so much for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Sunscorch makes the leaves turn all yellow-ish or white-ish on the leaves in direct contact with the sun. If you see this sign, you could move them or provide shade with a shade cloth until "something" grows that can protect them. Or you can erect a structure that will shade them. Unfortunately, the best time to move was when the shrub was dormant but if you have to mvoe them, you have to move them. Just try to move as much of the root ball as you (and another person) can move together. There should be lots of roots on a 7-10 y/o.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Sponsored Products
Rapson | Highback Rapson GreenbeltĀ® Lounge with Arms
YLiving.com
Picnic Time Tables Indianapolis Colts Sport Patio Picnic Table 811-00-139-145-2
Home Depot
Light Gray & Ivory Eliza Area Wool-Blend Rug
$69.99 | zulily
Perfection Champagne Flute - Set of 6 - Holmegaard
$120.00 | HORNE
Biking Red Zero-Twist Cotton Towel Set
$29.99 | zulily
Deco Breeze Fan - Woody Car - DBF0272
$81.99 | Hayneedle
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home & Garden Chrysanthemum Light Blue 5' 3" x
$99.97 | Home Depot
Santrini Contemporary 3 Drawer Chest - Espresso - IDF-7088TV
$509.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™