Forever Pink Hydrangea

Wendy08April 14, 2014

Hi, I'm a newbie and curious about two hydrangeas I have.

I bought them in 2012 and was told they were Forever Pink Hydrangeas. I wanted something that was going to be smaller and was told they wouldn't be any bigger than 3 to 4 feet. Only one had blooms on it when they were bought and the blooms were a very light pink color.

In 2013 the hydrangea's grew to a 3' by 3' size and the foliage was very nice and healthy. The only problem was that they never bloomed. After researching, I can to the conclusion that the flower buds that would set up on old wood were killed off by the frost/winter. After the 2013 growing season ended I noticed the buds on the ends of the old wood but were hit with an early frost.

I went to another local nursery and spoke with them about this and wanted to replace the plant with one that will bloom on new wood as well. They told me that my hydrangeas will bloom on new wood and to leave them alone.

So now I am confused and not sure what to do. If these indeed only bloom on old wood then I want to move them soon to a better location.

Is there any way to determine what kind of hydrangea I'm dealing with without any blooms to identify? I know it's a big leaf and the blooms that were on it the first year were mophead.

Right now there is new growing coming up from the ground but no new growth on the old wood except where is is just an inch or two near the ground.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenapprentice

Seems like a hydrangea macrophylla (big leaf hydrangea) the best thing to do is to wait until the summer... If it blooms in new wood than you'll notice it if it doesn't than you will just have green foilage, you should also try and buy another one to see if it blooms on old wood. The only true big leaf hydrangeas that rebloom each year are endless summer hydrangeas but there are a few others that rebloom. It's also possible your hydrangea needs to mature a bit more. Don't worry though

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 7:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splitrock

I am interested in this post as I have been admiring a hydrangea that is probably in the same series as yours. The one at JC Ralston Arboretum in Raleigh is just gorgeous and holds its reddish blooms until fall. It is labeled 'forever and ever together'. I have been wondering how it would handle the zone 6 of our mountain cabin. I wonder if winter protection would make a difference and save the buds on the year old canes?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™