your opinion, did I plant this climbing hydrangea in wrong spot?

cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)April 6, 2013

About 5 years ago, a purchased a climbing hydrangea and planted it on the North/East side of our house. Our house is brick and I read that they love to climb stone or brick, I saw some fabulous pics on line of just that! My problem is it won't stick to the brick. It is approx. 7ft tall but the branches that are going up just end up collapsing and breaking. I didn't want to have to trellis it or attach it since it should grow to heights I couldn't possibly reach easily. My other Hydrangeas do very well on that side of the house, do I figured this would too. was I wrong? some of it's branches do want to grow away from the wall as well, but some grow up, just don't hold on.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Most people provide a trellis to train it until it starts doing it it well on its own. Does the brick surface get too hot somehow? Masonry screws might also work to help the tendrils attach.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:53PM
calistoga_al

If the brick is clean, not covered with fungus, the climbing hydrangea will usually cling very well. I think your planting location is fine. Al

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:49AM
cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)

The brick is very clean, no moss, fungus, or growths of any kind. The brick wall faces North/East so it gets early morning sun until about noon or 1:00 depending. Then it is in partial shade for the rest of the day until 5 or so, then full shade. So I don't think it gets very hot. I did attach a small trellis (6ft.) to get it started which it has wrapped around very well. But as soon as it reaches beyond the trellis, it can't hold on. Maybe a larger trellis? I really don't relish the idea of driving screws into the brick, and at what point would the hydrangea actually grab on for itself if it hasn't already?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™