Variegated Impatiens

wildflower(z7b)May 30, 2005

I let my impatiens re-seed every year and always end up with thousands in my shade beds. The other night, I was pulling some out away from my hostas, and noticed one with varigated leaves coming up. I dug it up and potted it so I can keep an eye on it.

I just don't re-call ever seeing any with variegated leaves (besides the new guines). Is it possible that I have something unusual here, or is this something fairly common that I've just never seen?? I can get a pic later if anyone is interested.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

I am interested that is for sure. There are variegated ones out there. Glasshouse works has a good number as well as Kartuz's Greenhouse. They are rare that is for sure. What color is the flower?

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 10:35PM
wildflower(z7b)

I posted this same thing over on the annuals forum, and they've told me there that these are fairly common. I'd pretty much decided that I need to get out and go plant shopping more often!

This little guy is still very small so I don't know what color the blooms will be yet. It has buds so hopefully will be blooming in a week or two.

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 10:21AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

I think it looks cute. Nice leaf coloration. Let us know what color the flowers turn out.

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 6:16PM
wildflower(z7b)

Thanks for responding. I'm excited to see what color blooms also. I still think it's really strange that it came up variegated since I've never seen one before.

By the way, I checked out your website the other day and was absolutely blown away....Some of the blooms look just like orchids to me. You really have an awesome collection, and I love the informative website.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Divine New Guinea
After three years in a row of 100% failed crops I've...
Creek-side
Impatients dying? too much water?
I found my impatients in this condition this week....
karlangas
New Guinea Impatiens
Can i get these at any garden center right now or is...
turaloora
Damping off - Captan
Last weekend I planted four pots of store-bought impatiens....
Creek-side
Busy Lizzy Cuttings Available.
Cuttings from this Busy Lizzy old fashioned tall pink....
DavidmGeary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™