Over fertilizing impatiens - I think

melroseMay 4, 2010

I have started some impatiens and the leaves appear very curled and stunted - especially on the white ones. The plants look green and strong but very curled. In researching the forum I think I'm overfertilizing because I'm using it full strength every watering. I will now stop fertilizing now - will the plants recover? how long will it take to see results?

P.S. I examined the leaves closely and do not see any sign of insects such as aphids.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

Hello melrose
How tall are your impatiens? Are they at the tiny stage?
Are they a darker green than normal? What type of impatiens are they? Could you post a picture of them?
Hope you can figure out the problem.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 5:34PM
melrose

The impatiens are white blitz and they are about 3" tall. I parts with the deformed curly small leaves probably are a little darker green. I wouldn't be able to take a picture until tomorrow night because they are in an outside greenhouse and it's dark now.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:05PM
caitlin448

Do you have flowers? I was over fertilizing my impatiens at first and while the leaves and stalks grew like crazy (and a little curly), the flower buds would fall off and not bloom. I rinsed them with water and saw improvement within 2 days. I think the key is rinsing away the fertilizer.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 7:41PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Never use full strength fertilizer on anything every time you water. Hello! Read the directions. Impatiens don't need much fertilizer anyway. A 1/4 strength monthly is all mine get with a light foliar misting in between.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
Insecticidal soap killed my impatiens
The subject of my post says it all: I sprayed an insecticidal...
rhaine86
Pollinating species (i.platypetala)?
I have two plants of this which I started from separate...
rredbbeard
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™