no medium nft, can bottom of stem touch steam?

plzhelp123February 23, 2014

i am designing an nft system with a pbc pipe with holes drilled in the top of it. the stream will trickle down the bottom of the pbc and the plants will be in the holes, their roots taking nutrients from the stream
i plan to use no medium, just stems in holes
the problem arises about how to keep the plants upright with their roots dangling in the stream
i could clamp them but i don't want to clamp them so hard that i strangle them
this problem would be easier to solve if it was ok to allow the bottom of the stems to rest on the floor of the pbc pipe in the stream, this way the floor will take alot of the weight from the plant and i can use weaker clamps
would this be bad for the plant? for the bottom of the stems to be in the stream?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plzhelp123

omg ive been saying pbc pipe all my life and its pvc... so embarrassing

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 11:05PM
grizzman

In my nft systems, I normally use small 2" net pots with hydroton to stabilize the plants. Other than that, the hydroton is of no consequence. I would suggest something similar.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 10:29AM
robert_1943

I agree with grizzman with hydroton or even lava rock, which I use successfully as a mixture 50/50. it is a little heavier however holds the nutrients well, and possibly give the plants a little more stability.
Using the Kratky analogy as long as the root tips touch the nutrients the roots will follow the moisture and give good results, giving the whole stem and roots a bath will drown the poor plant. Use the KISS principle and you will find success.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Wireless pool/spa thermometer for outdoor hydro grow?
SIAP - I wasn't able to find anything that seemed related...
dustonj2008
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
Hydroponics
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™