New NFT setup
I have been growing strawberries the last few years in the ground but about half of the berries were getting eaten by bugs before they were ripe enough to pick. Last year I tried in long pots on the ground and they did better, but not as well as I would have liked. I only had a few plants so I didnÃ¯Â¿Â½t get much production anyway.
About six months ago my wife and I were visiting some friends in Switzerland and the strawberries there tasted so much better than what we get here. I asked around online and it seems like the Mara Des Bios variety was what we were eating. I ordered some seeds but was informed that they would be hard to grow.
Now about a month ago someone just had to post a picture of hydroponically grown strawberries that looked so good I had to keep searching online and see what it would take to make one of my own. There are so many different systems that have been built. I looked here as well as a lot of YouTube videos and kinda came up with what I think will work well for me.
It is using 4" PVC with 3" cups. I have 24 of the Mara Des Bios and 24 White Pine berry bare roots I bought online. I still have 18 holes to fill with herbs and lettuce.
Anyway, I got it up and running last night and got all the bare roots in place. I checked each one later to make sure the roots were getting water.
I will likely change the reservoir to a 55 gallon drum later it was just dark so I put a tote in its place. I plan on adding Maxigrow until they get big then switching to Maxibloom.