Magazine article

JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)May 23, 2008

There's a very well-written and beautifully illustrated article about Impatiens in the current issue of Horticulture magazine, written by some guy named "Derick Pitman". Anybody know who this dude is? ;o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

I have no idea who the guy is but he does have a picture of himself in the contributers section. He looks like a freak but I hear he is a nice guy. Saintly even.

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 10:18PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

He once sent me seed for zombensis - truly a saint.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 6:34AM
trianglejohn

A saint and a genius! He once identified a rare impatiens I have. Sure wish he would remind me which one it is since I lost the sheet of paper where I wrote it down.... hint

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 12:59PM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

trianglejohn

I think you are going to have to remind him again with some more detail. I'm sure he would be able to remember again.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 11:20PM
trianglejohn

I thought it was I. irvingii but you said it was from the Himalayas and not from Africa and that the collector (R.N. whom I do not know personally, she is a friend of a friend) had sent one to you also. Mine is blooming fine this year though I have failed to get it into the ground. In the flower bed where it grew last summer there are what appear to be seedlings (just a few). It did produce fruit last year but I never got around to collecting seed. This also happens to be the flowerbed where I scattered some I. namchabarwensis seeds I bought. They didn't sprout last spring so this years seedlings could be either type of impatiens. I am not a scientist and unlike the name of these plants I have LOTS of patience. I've been known to wait up to three years for seeds to sprout. I'm not in a hurry.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 4:52PM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

I "cough" he remembers now. It is Impatiens latiflora collected by Rekha Morris. It is a very beautiful Impatiens one of Mr. Impatiens favorites.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Busy Lizzy Cuttings Available.
Cuttings from this Busy Lizzy old fashioned tall pink....
DavidmGeary
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
White spots on Impatiens Pedals
I'm new to gardening and a couple of days ago, I went...
Christal91
Pollinating species (i.platypetala)?
I have two plants of this which I started from separate...
rredbbeard
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™