New to impatiens

jesmello(z6PA)May 5, 2004

Hi my father just gave me a hanging basket of impatiens. Problem is I don't know how much sunlight to give it. It didn't come with a handy dandy growth instruction tag. Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
liana789plants

Impatiens like part-shade, part sun. I put mine where they receive a few hours of morning sun, and afternoon shade. What kind of impatiens is it? New Guinea Impatiens need more sunlight than the regular Impatien walleriana.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 5, 2004 at 7:05PM
MrLars(Zone 5 Indlps)

The Hanging Baskets of Impatiens sold by many retailers tend to be packed with plants and tend to get root bound very easily. They will need to be kept well watered. Fertilize once a month with Miracle Gro or something else similar.

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 4:52PM
jesmello(z6PA)

Now I have a new question. Can ants have a negative effect on my impatiens? I noticed today that several new buds had fallen off. I also noticed ants crawling around. Can I blame them for the buds? If so, is there anything I can do about them? Thanks for all the help.

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 9:22PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Buds falling off can be transplant shock, or it can be overwatering. The ants are probably farming aphids on your plants and this could be hurting the plants.

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 5:04AM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

Ants like to farm on Impatiens. Also Impatiens have small nectures that have sap that they like, sometimes you can see the stuff around the leaves. I get lots of ants on my scabrida and clarei but dont really see much aphids but they will farm on my glandulifera.

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 10:22PM
freshgardener(z6 IL)

Another question: Will impatiens in hanging baskets come back, or are they pretty much done for when the summer is over?

Bookmark   May 16, 2004 at 11:32PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Impatiens in hanging baskets (almost certainly I. walleriana) are frost-tender perennials. If you let them experience even a slight frost they will turn to mush. If you can overwinter them somewhere bright and frost-free then you can keep them. They make good houseplants and will flower continuously indoors without any direct sun.

Bookmark   May 17, 2004 at 3:42PM
petsitterbarb(Zone 6, N.E. OK)

Thanks, Shrubs N Bulbs...I had no idea that impatiens could be houseplants. I'm delighted!!!!

Bookmark   May 21, 2004 at 10:21AM
carlyg(z8 East TX)

How well will the new guinea impatiens do in zone 8, east TX?

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 10:30PM
MrImpatiens(Zone 9 CA)

New Guineas are not hardy for a zone 8 or even zone 9 they are always treated as annuals. But They are great other wise.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 12:10AM
zeinab_81033_yahoo_com

Hi every body
I have one of this flower but new buds has fallen off. and only one of them has blossomed incompletely. Do you know what's the matter,please help me thanks

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
Impatiens...do they really do well in full sun?
I'm not sure if it was the variety of impatiens I purchased...
gwendolyn718
[Please] Need Advice On Germinating New Guinea Imps [Please]
I've propagated from seed for about 5 years now &...
gltrap54
Damping off - Captan
Last weekend I planted four pots of store-bought impatiens....
Creek-side
Lighting advice
I have balsamina impatiens grown from seed that are...
makingcents
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™