Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?

BombeniMay 17, 2014

I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with a dozen Sunpatiens. I just didn't notice they were a sun variety. I live in a condo and my garden area gets only two hours of sun, so I always plant impatiens. Anyone know if these would do okay? If not I'm going to give them to one of the neighbors who get a lot of sun. I don't want to waste the time and effort and good potting mix if they won't bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5

They are supposed to bloom in sun or shade. This will be my first year to try them, so I can't speak from experience.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 10:50AM
annam1966

Yes, and keep them in the shade even though they are supposed to be sun tolerant. I bought six large plants and put them in a bed that gets about four hours of direct sun each day and they wilt terribly each day even with morning and evening watering. Today I am digging them up and moving them to a full shade bed. If I leave them in the sun they will surely die. I hope they survive the move but if not I'm out nearly $40 for "sun tolerant" plants that clearly are not "sun tolerant" at all. They have performed so poorly that I'm tempted to return them.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 7:52AM
familyman2004(z8 MS)

If you over fertilize plants wilt easily and require frequent watering. I am not saying this is what you did but it can cause the symptoms you described.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 3:11AM
christy51274

I purchased some Sunpatiens and they did terribly in full sun (even for only a couple of hours). Maybe a tiny bit of morning sun (wouldn't do more than an hour--flowers and leaves can easily burn, depending on how hot it is), but that's it. Bright shade is the best for them, based on my experience. Also, if the flowers or foliage get wet from the rain and the direct sun hits them on a very hot day, mine have just burned.

They're such a gorgeous flower. Good luck!

(Pic of mine in bright shade)

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 3:56PM
JannSM

christy51274 said bright shade is best for Sunpatiens, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried growing them in deep shade. Any growth? Any blooms?

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 2:06AM
bveronico

I have a couple white sunpatiens plants in shade (well some dappled sun from early morning, then a tiny bit of dappled sun in the afternoon for maybe 30min). They are in plastic planters each with two large coleus which seem to block the little sun they get. I thought they would get bigger but so far they don't seem to have grown at all in the month or so that I've had them. But they still bloom occasionally, just not nearly as much as the ones that get a couple hours of full AM sun. Then again, their planters are also quite crowded. Other than not growing and sparse blooms, they seem healthy; no bugs or any more than an occasional yellow leaf.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 11:29PM
fieldofflowers(3 or 4a)

I have some growing in a mostly shaded area. They do bloom, but not quite stars of the show. There will be a few flowers. They last until the plant gets stressed and then drop. In even shadier areas they may go periods of time without blooms at all.

Overall I'm not impressed. Then again the few 3-5 hours of sun mine do get is the harsh afternoon sun when no other buildings are casting shadows over the area.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:02AM
More Discussions
Pest control using Neem oil
Hi I have a problem with Aphids and mites. some of...
gonene1
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
New Guinea Impatiens
I have new guinea impatiens i planted sometimes last...
turaloora
Insecticidal soap killed my impatiens
The subject of my post says it all: I sprayed an insecticidal...
rhaine86
Floating impatiens island in pond
Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb, and working on a big pond...
Oscarmatic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™