Sick double impatiens

Brandy80June 1, 2012

I have two double impatiens that aren't doing well. When I bought them, the leaves were a beautiful dark green and very dense. I planted in a flower bed under a tree in my front yard so they get part shade, part sun. They are now spindly and a yellow green color. The lady at the nursery where I bought them said it sounded like I was over watering them, and to feed them. I've quit watering so much, and gave them some miracle grow, but they still look the same. I'm afraid I'm going to lose them soon. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

Usually yellow leaves mean overwatering or underwatering or lack of fertilizer. If you have been watering often let them dry out completely.

Then again it may be the location you chose. Planting under any tree is not a good idea. A perennial may survive but an annual doesn't have the roots to compete with tree roots for moisture and nutrients

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 6:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistascott(7A VA)

Perhaps the dreaded downy mildew. Look for white on the underside of the leaves. If you find it, the plants have to be trashed and the soil cannot be used again for impatiens because the spores can overwinter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy Mildew

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
New Guinea Impatiens flowers fading fast
Hi all, I planted my NGI in a bed back in May. It took...
valeriej1
Will Sunpatiens bloom in shade?
I managed to get home from a garden buying trip with...
Bombeni
Impatiens mirabilis
I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct...
ray_ratliff
Volunteer Impatiens in zone 4
How low a zone can impatiens reseed? This year I have...
fieldofflowers
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™