To early to start petunia seed???

jamlover(z4 Iowa)January 30, 2005

I haven't grown my own petunias for maybe 10 years. Is it to early to sow them for say a May 10 planting date outside. I have pelleted seed. Any advice anyone???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginni77(z 5)

I just got the potting mix so I could start some Italian petunias I got from Park Seed yesterday. I'm going to plant them tomorrow and keep them in my little indoor greenhouse in my south dining room window. Perhaps it's a bit early ...it says 6-8 weeks before the last frost on teh packets...but I NEED something growing in here to get me thru the worst part of winter! I'm going to plant part of the seeds now and part later on. I have never started petunias from seed before, but I'm giving it a shot!

Ginni

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 12:30AM
Iowamom(NW Iowa)

You might want to check out the "winter sowing" forum. I heard Tina ("trowelgal") speak at a seminar yesterday in Sioux City and it sounds like a really easy way to grow plants from seeds. I never have any luck the tradional way. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 12:55AM
jamlover(z4 Iowa)

Ginni, I'm like you. Need something to tide me through Feb. Was going to do lisianthis this year but that needs to be started really early. I also have some datura that will benefit from an early start.
Wish I was closer to Sioux City___I'm clear across the state. Thanks. Jean

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Anyone know what this plant is?
I found it volunteer in the bushes next to my house...
rwallen1961
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
LarryInIowa
proper watering for indoor plants
I put a little water on my impatiens. Does anyone know...
bradly44
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™