Sick Impatiences

Ruth69June 30, 2012

Planted 252 impatiences. 189 aren't growing. 63 are doing great in the same bed. Used Miracle Grow Mix as soil, Miracle Grow to feed and did all of this the same with all the plants. Hopefully, you can see the difference. Never had this problem before. Are the sick ones just bad plants to start with?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldstew

Ruth69, Mine did the same thing and the best I have been able to find out is that there is a "downy mildew" epidemic going on right now with impatiens.(It is a fungus) Several websites have said the only thing to do is pull them up and destroy them. One site said to burn them or bury them at least 20 inches. Pulled mine up yesterday and it was painful....don't know if I will replant with anything at this point. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Horticulture Society

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 12:46PM
marguerite_gw

That is shocking information, oldstew. I was calling it powdery mildew, I didn't realise it was downy mildew. A gardener on Irish radio said milk and water helped, maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:40AM
Ruth69

Thanks for your comments. I emailed Bonnie Plants for help and they didn't mention this at all. However, they are sending me a check to cover what I lost. I told them they had to have a disease or something. I'll let you know if it is what I told them how much it costs me. Asked for a site to send pictures and no response on that just will send me a certificate for my loss. I shall go directly out and pull the rest up and dispose of them in the garbage.

Thanks again! Ruth

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 8:15AM
eahamel(9a)

Milk really will help with downy mildew. I don't know if it will work on impatiens, but it will on vegetables.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 6:39PM
mistascott(7A VA)

According to Steve Bender's blog post, downy mildew is a water mold not a fungus. Really a bummer any way you look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy mildew

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Seeking Impatiens oliveri seeds
Is there anyone who would be willing to send me Impatiens...
laurarice
Damping off - Captan
Last weekend I planted four pots of store-bought impatiens....
Creek-side
old fashioned busy lizzie (tall gangly variety pink flowers)
if any one is looking for this old fashioned busy lizzie...
DavidmGeary
Volunteer Impatiens in zone 4
How low a zone can impatiens reseed? This year I have...
fieldofflowers
Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?
As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana...
JannSM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™